It's that time again! The 24th of July, Utah's State Pioneer Day, is another day for our family to use as an excuse for us to get together. This day we head down to my Uncle Sterling's for some food, family, and to subject our bodies to the infamous mountain water slide adventure!
Last year I went down for the first time post accident with my sister Jenny and had a blast. Even though I was a little nervous at first, once I made it to the bottom, I was so glad that I had done it!
My kids could not wait to get their stomachs fed and their swimming suits on so that they could get up to the top! (Jenny....this year he made it even higher and a little bit longer at the bottom!).....aaaaand they're off!




....Kindra was so funny...She would go back and forth from being brave and then being a little scared. Sometimes she would latch on to whoever was right there to take her down! There is my little brother Michael taking up Colin and Abbi. Colin would watch the kids expressions to know if he should go alone or go with someone. It was pretty comical watching them at the bottom!



I had taken my swimsuit with the plan on going down again this year but as I was watching them had changed my mind. "What a pain and it's muddy and grassy and instead I can just sit here and relax". That was before my other brothers arrived and once they got there the excitement came rushing back! I couldn't resist and that adventurous side once again came out! Amazing Race...Amazing Race...Amazing Race, my favorite show, the chant came into my mind! How could I just sit there?!? Impossible! hehehe


...Ashley making sure that John-Charles did not slip since it was getting pretty muddy...


...Carter was having so much fun!...


...again! again!...


...Ashley and Kindra... (see how muddy it was!!! I just had to ignore that otherwise I would have been vomiting!!!)


...Michael's turn...






...Carter head first and backwards...

...Kindra not so sure about what it is that we were sliding and sitting in! ignore...ignore...ignore!

This is when the "head first stomach runs" began....which also became known as "girls gone wild" since one of us could have possibly given our entire family a slight peep show :) hehehe

...Ashley...

...Me :) ... As we were heading up, John-Charles turned the dare giving from him giving one to me. "Go down on your stomach. You can do it...I DARE YOU!"

I know...I know...this picture is not one of my best but it was so much fun!
My Dad was dying at the bottom when he saw what I was doing! It cracks me up because my Dad was always the taunter when we were growing up. He gets so nervous now when he watches us being crazy and it actually makes us want be even crazier just to watch his reactions!

Kindra came running over and gave me a big hug and a kiss. "Oh Mom, what a great job! I am so proud of you! You didn't give up!"...and then she scurried off. I had a good laugh because she had just recited to me the exact same words that I say to them whenever they are working hard at achieving something. She is my little tape recorder and I love her for it.
As a Mom, I sometimes feel like I am doing a job 24/7 that does not give me back any physical thing to show for it, which is what I have been use to, but I am reminded that it's the little things like this that are the rewards. Even though I KNOW this, I can FORGET it so it's nice when the reminders do happen!
Every child has their "place" or their "job" within the family unit and this is Kindra's. She is very loving, always sweet and positive yet very feisty and strong willed, very competitive, has a great imagination, and is always concerned and worried about how her Mom is doing, is holding up.
She is the ying to Carter's yang! :) I love you...both of you...very much! Ok...back to the good stuff :)

...Jake and Colin...


This was the worst part! The grass that was on your body and the grass that managed to find it's way into every known crevice or unknown crevice of your body! I wish I was lying but I am sadly not!

Jake, Natalie, Colin, and Abbi...the family train :)

"Oh Grandma Jensen...I am so tired! Can I sit on your lap for some relaxing?" Yes...this is what my little melodramatic child really said. My Grandma just ate it up! (it was actually really cute!)

We were exhausted after our long day so it was nice that night to stay home and do our own firework show. Trevor and his parents came down to our house which was nice. That way I could have them showered and their pajamas on so they could just jump into bed...again...selfish mother acting on my part :)


The kids decided that their favorite firework is the one that shoots up into the sky the parachuting guy that you have to watch for and then try to catch. As a kid, those were some of our favorites too. I also remembered/realized that as I was growing up, we did fireworks up until we moved to Canada, then if we were here visiting, and then not until we moved back. They didn't really do fireworks there for you to buy or to even go to an event and watch them. It's interesting the different traditions that different countries have or even that different families have. Hmmmmm just a thought that I had as we were winding down the day.

Another fun 24th of July though by the end of it, I was exhausted and ready for my kids to go to bed! Like all children, when they get excited about something, their energy levels increase and they can just go...go...go and Mom just can't...can't...can't!
We missed the Zimmermans, like always, and we missed Aunt Jenny, who is up with Stewart in Co. "Is Aunt Jenny coming?" Carter kept asking. "I am still helping Stewart when they get home right?" hehehe yeeeeep
8 comments:
That looks like the funnest slip'n slide I have ever seen!!!
Wow, you are BRAVE!!! I don't know if I would have gone down that. Especially on my stomach head first! You crazy lady. Looks like a blast though. Your family always seems to have so much fun together, I love it. It's fun to read about!
What a blast. I love all of the fun things that you do with your family.
Holy Cow, how fun! I love the 24th. Looks like you had a blast.
So hilarious all the fun times you had with everyone. I wish I would have been there to see it!!! And honestly, it kills me how much Ashley and I look alike. If I cut my hair short, it would be so obvious!! Love the pics and so glad you took so many so I could get the play by play :)
looks like you had a great 24th!!
What a fun time!!! I love all your fun family events!! And also, you really are such a great mom trying to be patient and really trying to do fun things with them and looking at their good qualities, etc... They are so lucky to have you as their mom. Really. I am not just saying that.
Post a Comment