Saturday, May 2, 2009

The Summer of 1992

When my family moved back to Utah, it was June of 1991 and I was 14. Our home in Highland was not ready for us to move in to yet, so we rented a home in Lehi. I met some fun girls who were older than me and who were in High School. They talked me into trying out for the Lehi Soccer Team. It worked. I tried out and made the Varsity team. This changed everything since the plan was for me to go to American Fork Junior High. That was before Lone Peak HS was around so those who lived in Alpine/Highland could choose between the two schools.

The only thing that made it hard was that all of the girls that lived in my neighborhood, all went to a different school so attending church, with complete strangers who already had their "group", was not too fun! All year from my parents I heard the line "You don't attend a church because of the people in the church. You attend it because you believe in it's gospel."

The summer of 1992 would change everything...EVERYTHING. It is still one of my top 3. That year I knew that I might have to change schools because at AFHS they had an AP French class and at LHS they did not. It would be completely stupid of me to not take advantage of that college credit.

Knowing this, I knew that I'd have to branch out a bit. I decided to go to a Youth Conference with the kids in my neighborhood...plus I had a secret crush on a boy that was 2 yrs older than me who was going.

That was it. That's all I needed to do. That began the Summer of 1992 which created friendships with people who I will always be BFF's with. That was the summer of "sog-balling", sneaking out, hanging out at "Maxi-Mart", running from the cops through the Bull River forest, adding the word "stiiiench" at the end of every word, continuous laughter, and remembering my love of the old school Michael Jackson :) compliments of Jay....
Katie, Karin, Brooke, and Angie
It is awesome when we can all get together! We just gossip, remember, and laugh! The best thing about these girls is that I know that they will always be there for me. We've all gone down different roads. We all have different types of lives. We all have different trials. But we all have the same great memories that no one can EVER take away! I love them and I will always be there for them. I KNOW that they feel the same way and that I can always depend on them for anything. I don't have to lie about or hide who I am. They just get and understand me and that's what means the most!



Love you girls...BFF's ALWAYS!!!

4 comments:

Kate Coveny Hood said...

I love friend stories. Wonderful tribute.

Mistie said...

I love friends that are so old but it is all still the same. that is the best. good job for you guys keeping in touch...it definately makes life all teh more meaningful when you keep those friendships.

Lyssa Beth said...

You always have great memories! I'm jealous of hte fun friends you had. And it's good that you are still tight with them! You are lucky to have good friends like that!

Karin Austin said...

I couldn't have said it better!!! And by the way, your dead meat for posting those pictures. hehe! We thought we where being so sneaky. I love your guts!!!
Karin